Is there such a thing as a slow season in motherhood? I don’t think so, but right now I’m in a busier season as a mom and a business owner than normal. The level of stress and the amount of things on my plate can vary throughout the year, so I want to pull back the curtain on what’s helping me get through these busy weeks and months. Listen in as I share what I’m doing right now in my business and what I’m working towards, along with the things, tools, subscriptions, and people I have in place to help make this possible.
Called to Both is brought to you by Joy Michelle, mom of two and multi-passionate entrepreneur who’s on a mission to help others find balance between the worlds of motherhood and business. Called to Both is the podcast for women who have big business ambitions and also want to be intentional and present moms. At Called to Both, we truly don’t believe you have to choose between these two worlds tugging at your heart You can be Called to Both.
You can stay up to date with the Called to Both Podcast by subscribing on Apple Podcast App, Spotify, or your favorite podcast player!
The Busy Season Before Taking a Sabbatical
This June, I will be taking a sabbatical from my business. Historically, a sabbatical is a paid leave often granted to like teachers of universities, once you’ve worked a set amount of years, sometimes it’s like seven years of work, and then you get a sabbatical. As I approach 10 years in business, I feel like I’ve earned a sabbatical. This came about because of a shift we’ll be experiencing in our childcare in June.
My goal for this sabbatical is to continue to pay myself a salary every two weeks, spend as much time with my kids and husband as possible, and for the business to continue to make money. I have an income goal for the business during the month of June—with details still in the works.
I want this time to feel like a vacation, which means I will be speeding up content creation and business in the current season.
What’s Saving My Life Right Now as a Working Mom in a Busy Season
- Factor Meals. These pre-made healthy meals are delivered to our door. I’m really bad about skipping lunches, but Factor makes it easy! Try Factor and get $50 off your first box!
- Having a cleaning lady and a robot vacuum. This is something we started a long time ago, yet it took me a long time to feel good about taking advantage of letting her do her thing. She comes once a week to support us!
- Support from my husband. I’m so thankful that he regularly asks how he can support me and what I need to get things done so we’re meeting deadlines. This includes grocery shopping and taking the kids when I need extra time for work.
- Our nanny / childcare. A huge reason that I can work right now is because of our nanny. Having predictable help is so valuable as a business owner.
- My new walking pad. While I work, time is tight and I’m not always able to get outside and move my body. With this under the desk walking pad and the standing desk adaptor, I am able to walk while I draft emails, watch trainings, Voxer my coaching clients, and more. You can also check out all of my Amazon favorites at joymichelle.co/Amazon.
- Morning pages. My morning pages are three pages of stream of conciousness journaling that I do almost every day. This practice comes from The Artist’s Way and keeps me feeling sane.
- My team. I don’t run Joy Michelle Co alone. I have a team of incredible women (and 1 man) that make this possible. As our team grows, I will be posting our open positions here on the website!
- Subscriptions and general convenience options. When it comes to making decisions and convenience, I’m going to take the convenience option so that I don’t have to think about it. Whether it’s through delivery, outsourcing to a done-for-me service, something that saves me time, or makes it so that I don’t have to keep making the decision I do, I’m making that choice.
- My start of day and end of day routines. I love the rhythms that a start of day and end of day routine offers. Back in episode 12, I shared about how the simplest routine of lighting a Branch Basics candle while I work because it simply makes me happy.
- My coach and fellow women who support me as they are also on a Called to Both journey. Having a community of support is life-giving and changing! My friend Kayla and I Voxer daily, because I can always count on her to point me back to my purpose, my why, my faith, and remind me that I do have what it takes. By not gate keeping, you’ll build better community and feel free in your business. Bonus: I can’t gate keep the latest app I’m loving, so you need to check out Metricool.
Those have been the 10 things that are keeping me somewhat together right now. What is helping you right now? I’d love to hear more, so send me a DM on instagram @joyymichelle!
If you’re enjoying the content we’re creating on the podcast and want to connect with others who are called to both, make sure you come join us in the Called to Both Facebook Group!
Connect with Joy:
If you decide to use any of the links above and buy through them, I’ll receive a small commission back. All of those affiliate income commissions really add up over time and help generate revenue to help support this podcast.
Looking for the Transcript?